It has been said that “good fences make good neighbors” but they can also do a lot to increase the value of a home. If you are on the proverbial fence about having a fence installation job done, here are some ways adding one to your property can increase the value of your home.
- Fences can improve the appearance of your yard. When it comes to increasing the value of a home, improving curb appeal is a key factor. The right fence installation job can do a lot to enhance the look and feel of your garden or yard and the home overall. If there are parts of your property that you do not want to be seen from the road, a good, tall fence can block all of that out. It is important to note that when fences are put around the back yard, they make a home look better. They do not have the same impact when they are placed around the front yard.
- Balance your needs and the value of the fence. Some people like wood fences around the back yard to keep pets in, protect children, or just create a more private place to spend time with friends and family. Even if you are not sold completely on the idea of putting in a fence to make you feel more secure, if you are selling your home you may want to put one in. When people with families are looking to buy a home, many say if they want a fence, they prefer to buy a property that already has had a fence installation done.
- Get the right fence material. When it comes to planning a fence installation, there are a few material options. You can get wood fencing, vinyl fencing, and chain link fencing, to name a few. Wood fences can increase the value of your home by as much as half of the cost of the fence installation. When you are looking at putting in a fence, make sure the material and style work with the look of your home.
- The fence installation to the professionals. Unless you have a lot of experience installing fencing, you will be better off hiring professionals to put in a new fence. There are two main reasons for this. In the first place, a fence that is put in by professionals will look better. This means the value it adds to your home will be greater than if you put the fence in yourself. In the second place, a fence that has been professionally installed will last longer and will need less in the way of maintenance. This is another selling point for your home. When you have prospective buyers come to your home, you can let them know that the great looking fence you have around your back yard will not add a lot of work or hassle.
- Proper maintenance of the fence is crucial. No matter how great a fence looks when it is first put in, time and weather take a toll on the way it looks. Experts say that a wood fence needs to be repainted at least every three years. Wood fences are some of the nicest around. It is not enough to put them up, stain or paint them and then leave them to their own devices. While a stain or paint can extend the life of the wood, you also need to do some work to keep it maintained. A well-maintained fence does a lot to increase the value of a home while one that has been left to rot will do a lot more damage than good.
When people approach your home, the first thing they notice are the yard and the exterior of the house. By putting in a nice fence that compliments the style of your home and provides security and privacy to your backyard area, you are doing a lot to augment the value of your property.